You can join FB launch event by clicking here
Today should be a Darker Post however I am sharing an author from the 2018 Leeds Event, as you know I attended the ball for this years event and had an absolute blast
Please welcome E.S Carter to the Leeds author event!
Avid reader and mother of 3, I previously worked in human resource management before taking on the best but most demanding job I’ve ever had … being a Mother🙂
I have been writing since childhood, the bookworm gene an abnormal manifestation as no-one else in my family is obsessed with books.
I’m happy to say I have passed this gene on to my youngest child who has been devouring books since the very day she could hold one in her hand.
My debut novel ‘Nineteen’ released in May 2015, I hope you enjoy it!
Please feel free to get in touch, I would love to hear from you ♥
You can find ES Carter here:
Excited to have ES signing at Leeds!
Hi guys been so busy with edits just didn’t get round to blogging, I filmed the vlog a couple of weeks ago then lost the footage and as I just found it decided to share it anyway then get back into my routine this week, as usual life is hectic, we have Christmas coming up, I am dancing at a Hafla next Sunday which will be my first ever public appearance belly dancing which I am incredibly nervous about, I am hoping to be able to share some footage but because there are children in the group it is a little awkward but we shall see what I can do. So lets get on and share a few blogs, a music video and the vlog.
- I have shared posts from this vlog before but I decided to share this as I love it when people try new things, this time instead of photos Nigel shares a video which is shown at high speed I really did enjoy it and feel it has a very different dynamic to time lapse which is the way you would normally expect this to be done, it feels more gentle, less dynamic which in this case fits the feeling of the scenery incredibly well. https://nigelborrington.com/2016/11/02/landscape-videos-a-misty-morning-on-the-kings-river-kells-county-kilkenny/
- I love this blogger though he does not post as prolifically any more, however when he does post it is always worth a look https://russelrayphotos2.com/2016/11/02/these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-signs/
- I love these images so of course I had to share with you guys https://cafebookbean.com/2016/11/05/stairway-to-heaven-lookbook-2/
I want to share a video with you now, I have plugged this band here before but want to do so again with their new single…
And finally the vlog…
You may have noticed a lack of lazy sunday post yesterday, the truth is had an incredibly lazy day, dinner was already bubbling away in the slow cooker, I can’t even honestly say what I did yesterday other than have a lie in until the cat drove me from my bed. If you follow me on social media you will have seen the cat picture which sadly I cant seem to add via the phone. Think I will post a few more cat pics later but today I shall be mainly editing.
I am just having a listen through on my natural reader app for Queen of Ages and have to say it is strange listening to the naughty passages being read by an electronic voice, totally devoid of the passion you are trying to convey lol.
So off to get on with it now and trying to pay attention to the grammar rather than laughing at the weird inflections that HazelUK puts on things, though it is better than some of the other voices I tried.
As you are aware I am launching Ascension next month, the first part of the Queen of Ages trilogy, that means the next couple of weeks I shall be busy doing final edits and playback to catch those silly little errors we so often miss that spell check cannot spot, where we put in rather than is for example.
So in an attempt to stay off FB and other social media when I should be working have switched WiFi off on my computer 💻 and will only be accessing it via my phone, I intend to try to post everyday and hopefully the fact they will be brief daily blogs will be interesting to you and hopefully by the time I am ready to be back all over social media the passions regarding politics may be dying down and the name calling stop.
One thing I do still need to do is the blurb for the back of the book and also for the description section of various places, I must be honest it is one thing I do find difficult, how to sum up a plot and a story in a few lines, giving enough to draw the reader in while not actually revealing anything important.
I also tried firing up my old phone this week in the hope of using it do do fb live and snap chat, however it seems the phone was more useless than I remembered so that plan is down the drain, I had thought it was just the battery that had gone on it but seems to be the whole android processor.
Will leave it here for today and finish eating my porridge, then the morning will be spent editing the afternoon at the day job. Catch you all tomorrow.
Good afternoon, I know these are getting later but it seems a lot of people were letting off a lot of noisy fireworks last night so it took a while to get to sleep. We didn’t go to a bonfire this year, I have a lot going on personally at the minute and the monster is not a big fan of crowds but hopefully next year we will go to an organised display. So quick update, the print version of Voices is now available on Amazon I will do a proper post tomorrow including links but the final proof copies arrived and are looking good though of course I will be sitting down and doing a proper read through just to treble check for the millionth time lol.
Right onto today’s blog offerings…
- I am a big fan of people paying it forward and sharing other peoples posts as long as it is done properly with full accreditation this young man has done just that and his friends images are wonderful https://paintdigi.wordpress.com/2016/10/21/beauty-in-nature-d2-photos-of-plants-art-and-beauty-images-for-you-8/
- Everyone says you should always look to the future and not dwell on the past but sometimes it is a good thing to glance over your shoulder to appreciate just how far you have come https://stephanie-hurt.com/2016/10/28/flashback-friday/
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me you cannot do better than to look to nature for true magnificence this ladies images capture such fascinating moments and make art from them https://drawandshoot.me/2016/10/28/birds-falling-like-leaves-off-trees/
- We need to support each other as indie authors, we do not have the marketing budgets of traditional publishing houses, cannot get out books onto book shelves as easily but what we can do is share posts spread the word and give each other a shout out whenever possible https://lindaghill.com/2016/10/27/thank-you-3/
- Finally a brilliant spooky story worthy of the Halloween season https://roughwighting.net/2016/10/28/the-old-mansion-on-my-street/
You write a book, you put it up on Amazon, your done, right? Wrong!
I have decided to run this, a new series of posts on a Thursday discussing the things I learn about the self publishing journey as I go along.
There are so many things now that you have no idea about when you start out as a self published author, things that you might think should be simple but oh no there are a thousand pitfalls awaiting you. So what I am going to do over the next few weeks is discuss some of the things I have learnt about so far on my publishing journey, some mistakes have been more costly than others.
Lets start with a pretty basic one, a business card. Everyone who has any type of business needs to have a card they an hand out, you can get them from a thousand printers on line and in your local area but getting it right is a whole different ball game, and one I got wrong the first time round.
Now at first glance you might look at it and wonder what is wrong, it looks okay but then think bout what it tells you.
It tells you I have written one book, the book featured on the card, a ghost story book, it does not tell you that my novels I am realising are a completely different genre, or even that I have other books.
It gives you some information about the places you can find me on social media but misses out the website, now to be fair I did not have the website when I designed these but because I was naive I ordered a few hundred cards I then had a website and no one knew about it and I had a pile of cards so did not feel I could buy new ones until I used the ones I had up.
The next thing was the price and quality, I could have bought them cheaper but I heard from various sources that some of the ‘offers’ I had seen advertised turned out to be poor quality, I found somewhere I thought was fairly cheap and spent extra on the glossy finish and thicker card, and they were good in that respect, but there really are so many companies now that it is impossible to check them all out so a couple of things I learnt along the way…
- Ask other people, both personally and online about the companies they have used, most people if you ask politely and respectfully will be happy to help with information like this.
- Go onto the various sites and take a look, run through the process of designing or uploading your design, see how easy their system is to use, check out the pricing options and shipping remember just because you put the stuff into the computer does not mean you are obliged to buy them just stop before you hit the pay button.
- Check out on their website if they offer samples, I sent to two different companies for sample packs, these give you an idea of not only the size of their cards but generally other products like flyers etc you may wish to consider at a later date and allows you to feel the different card qualities and finishes before you commit to ordering.
- Make sure you save your design somewhere safe on your computer, just because you order from a place once does not mean you are tied to them, I would suggest ordering the smallest amount option for your first order, you can always order more at a later date if you are satisfied with the product and service.
So as you may have glanced on my vlog this is my new business card…
Now the one thing you might notice I have included on this one is a phone number and this is another tip, at a small cost you can get a skype phone number, the great thing about this is you can literally set yourself business hours, I am at my desk Monday to Friday mornings most weeks, I tend to do blog posts, read emails, for the first couple of hours each day then afternoons and evenings are reserved for friends, family and writing. The great thing about the skype number is it goes to the computer and means I do not have to give out my personal mobile or my home phone, I chose to add it because as a chose dark colours for the background and a glossy finish, scribbling it on individual cards as need was not an option, plus if anyone abuses the number it is very easy to block using skype as I have to do several times a week with scam contacts. I would also say if you try to contact anyone via a skype number make sure from the message you send they know who you are and why they should add you to their contacts. Generally business cards ware only given out to business contacts so unwanted calls should not be too much of an issue.
Okay so hope someone might have found something useful in this post and I shall do another next week if you enjoyed it.
Another reblog from my fellow Dark Side author Sarah today, this book is dealing with an important subject especially cyber bullying, sadly too many sit hidden behind keyboards destroying lives of others
“So he finally acknowledged something is wrong, but he didn’t suggest you should do anything about it?” My colleague Ruby is stood with me in the English office the morning after, scanning me for telltale signs of rage.
“He flat out said we should leave it until Joe is ready to tell us what’s going on.”
“Oh dear.” She reads my exasperation. “Listen… Jules. Joe is his son.”
I flash her my eyes. Has she forgotten about the things Joe and me have been through together? He’s as much my son as my twins are. I care about Joe just the same.
“Ruby.” I turn myself fully towards her, putting my cup of tea on the worktop, my hands free to make sweeping movements to enforce my passion on this. “It’s something in my gut, telling me there’s something wrong. I don’t know, but when it comes to kids…
View original post 508 more words
I am really lucky to have some fabulously talented friends, I had very specific ideas for the covers of my Queen Of Ages Trilogy and I had made a decision that I wanted something different to the normal computer manipulated images that grace the covers of most books these days, I love the copies of Tolkien I have with hand illustrated plates and maps and also the covers of the Terry Brooks books I possess so I ambushed a dear friend and talked over my ideas with her.
Stage two was the creation of the three idea boards for the individual book covers, thankfully Debra completely understood where I was coming from with the random pictures, scribbles and poorly explained half ideas. She took the patchwork of ideas and skilfully merged them together to create a fantastic piece of art for me. A couple of tweaks were needed along the way including discussion of one or two elements that would be digitally enhanced but the result is amazing and something I look forward to hanging on my wall as soon as I get a frame. if you would like to see more of her amazing art work you can check out her page DA Creations here or my personal favourites are her paintings on wood which you can find on her page Wood Winked Art On Wood here.
Stage three was photographing the art work and adding the text, a process which was very hit and miss and was again inspired by the fantasy novels in my bookshelves. So without further ado I would like to share the cover art with you first the kindle version, second the print version (minus the blurb at the minute and finally the actual original painting so you can see you how wonderful it is minus the text.